Jackson Street Mentoring provides one-on-one friendship and guidance from a responsible adult. Volunteer Mentors (adults) make a one year commitment, and to agree to spend 1-3 hours per week with the youth they’ve been matched with. Mentors and Mentees are matched based on interest.
Mentees (youth) must be referred by a service provider (probation officer, therapist, school counselor, etc). Legal guardians must give consent for their youth to participate, and youth must also make a commitment to participate in the program.
For a copy of the Mentee Referral Form, please email Claudia Gallegos, at email@example.com
An Eligible Volunteer Mentor….
- Provides consistent support and friendship to a youth, ages 10-17
- Is at least 19 years old
- Resides in Benton or Linn County
- Has a positive perspective of young people
- Adheres to all program policies and procedures
- Meets consistently and is dependable
- Has at least two hours per week to share with their Mentee, for one year
- Attends training sessions as required, and a minimum of 8 Monthly Mentor Meetings throughout the year
- Willingly communicates with program staff about activity information and takes constructive feedback and suggestions. We ask for weekly email or phone updates for the first 3 months, and bi-weekly updates for the remaining 9 months. Mentors ask questions when they have them – you’re not alone!
- Does not abuse or use alcohol or controlled substances while acting as a Volunteer (with your mentee)
- Is not currently in treatment for substance abuse, and has a non-addictive period of at least five years
- Completed Volunteer Time Sheets each month
- Has a passion for supporting runaway, homeless, and at-risk youth. Experience working with this population, or personal history is a plus but not required.
To become a Mentor, please complete the basic Volunteer Application and connect with Jackson Street’s Volunteer Coordinator to begin the process.
- Become an approved Jackson Street Volunteer – Contact our Volunteer Coordinator!
- A separate Mentor Application is distributed in-person
- Personal interview with Mentoring Coordinator
- Read the Jackson Street Mentoring Handbook and complete quiz
- Attend a four hour new mentor training within first 6 months of being matched
- Attend training sessions as required